Without further ado, here's my 2012 goal recap:
Running - Racing
Before the 5K where I ran my current PR
- Run a smart, well-trained marathon, more specifically Wineglass on September 30, 2012. In general this was completed, I think the smart part of the plan went out the window when I realized that Mike wasn't going to share this accomplishment with me. I am a marathoner though!
- Crush my current 10K PR with a sub-1 hour time. I did this at one of the Freezeroo races and during the Around the Bay 30K relay. Other than one other Freezeroo race (which was actually over 10K) we didn't run any other 10Ks this year, that is going to change next year!
- PR in the 5K with a 25:xx time. This happened THREE times! First I ran 25:53 at this race, then I ran 25:48 here, and my new 5K PR of 25:36 happened a few weeks ago.
- Finish a 15K race (automatic PR). We ran the Boilermaker and my current 15K PR is 1:26:42.
Running - General
- Train with other runners (not including Mike, Mike's mom or my mom). This happened numerous times! We ran with Rena and her boyfriend, some Winter Warriors, Eric and his wife and eager trail runners at the #trailsroc meetup. Since July we have run with Isaac twice, Laura ran an entire half marathon with me and I ran with my friends Jess and Amber. We went to numerous TrailsRoc/Medved trail runs and a Fleet Feet group run. Also, I just ran a 5K with Sarah yesterday.
- Volunteer at a race. We volunteered at three races: one trail marathon, a road marathon and a 100 mile triathlon.
- Run in a race every month of 2012. CRUSHED this goal. I did 29 races this year, and at least one in each month. Mike raced 27 times!
- Run races in two new states. I ran races in four new states: Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. I also ran a relay in Ontario, Canada.
- Run 1,000 miles the entire year. Check! I hit 1,000 miles on Friday and yesterday's race put me at 1,003.91 miles for the year.
Triathlon - Racing
Finishing up my second triathlon
- Compete in a duathlon. Check, Formula 1 distance no less!
- Compete in a triathlon or two. Or two: Keuka Lake and SkinnyMan.
Triathlon - General
Swimming with the RATS
- Train with other triathletes. In July I wasn't sure if this was going to happen, but Mike and I joined the RATS (Rochester Area Triathletes) and we went to a few of their workouts.
One of my breakfasts during the clean food cleanse
- Try a clean food cleanse and/or a juice cleanse. I wasn't 100% successful but I did it.
- Drink more water!! I would say that I was successful with this goal, I often go for water over other drinks now.
- Remain injury free! Thankfully, I never had a huge setback this year. Considering how much we did, racing and training, a few tweaks here and there are to be expected. I was smart and took rest days or did a lighter intensity workout when I needed to.
Unaccomplished (for now) Goals:
Running - Racing
- Run a sub-4:45 marathon! Nope, but that's alright. I didn't even acheive my previous goal, before Mike had me change it, of sub-5 hours. I finished Wineglass in 5:01:23, but considering the mental battle I faced I am happy with that time.
- Run a sub-2 hour half marathon. I already wrote about my struggle with achieving a sub-2 half marathon, here.
Triathlon - General
- Become comfortable using my bike and general maintenance of it. I would say this was half accomplished, I am comfortable on my bike but I still don't know how to change a tire, a tube, etc.
- Strength train twice a week. Started the year off well and recently we have been lifting weights again, but I definitely DIDN'T strength train twice a week.
- Try a new recipe once a week and only go out to eat on special occasions. This was an ambitious goal and we only tried 27 new recipes. We did reduce the amount that we went out to eat but sometimes we were too tired, traveling, or just felt like going out to eat. I am still proud of what I accomplished with this goal, though.
- By the end of the year stop drinking soda. Another long shot. I still drink soda, but some weeks I don't have any at all. I do drink more water, juice and tea than soda now so I am happy. Maybe someday I will stop drinking soda, maybe.
Regardless of not accomplishing some of my goals, I had a GREAT year. Here are some of the highlights, in photos:
12 months of racing
Training and racing with friends and family
A duathlon and two triathlons
Cheering on others and volunteering
Well there you have it! I had 21 goals for 2012, and I accomplished 15 of them. Of the 6 that I didn't accomplish, you better believe that I am going to make some of them my goal for 2013. You'll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out which ones!
Did you set goals for 2012? How did you do?