Goals are what drive me to do better and achieve everything that I set out to do. At times I get a little obsessed with my goals, cough maintaining a 4.0 GPA in grad school cough, but if it is what makes me happy I don't see anything wrong with it.
Interestingly, my obsession with goals has never driven me to set New Year's resolutions. As I mentioned yesterday, Mike and I maybe set one resolution last year and I don't even think we stuck with it, oops!
I'm not sure I like the concept of a resolution and, who are we kidding, most of the time we break our New Year's resolutions before the end of January. The concept of a goal is much more doable for me. A resolution and a goal might be the same thing, but I like the word GOAL much better! So we are going to go with that, okay?
- Run a smart, well-trained marathon, more specifically Wineglass on September 30, 2012.
- Run a sub-4:45 marathon! (This previously said sub-5 hour, but Mike said it wasn't consistent enough with my other goals).
- Crush my current 10K PR with a sub-1 hour time. I would be thrilled if this happened in either of the Freezeroo 10Ks, but if not definitely by summertime.
- PR in the 5K with a 25:xx time.
- Run a sub-2 hour half marathon.
- Finish a 15K race (automatic PR), this will most likely happen at the Spring Forward 15K or the Boilermaker.
- Train with other runners (not including Mike, Mike's mom or my mom).
- Volunteer at a race.
- Run in a race every month of 2012. Thank you Freezeroo for getting us off to a great start!
- Run races in two new states. Rock 'n' Roll Chicago will take care of one of those, the other one will most likely be in Maine.
- Run 1,000 miles the entire year.
- Compete in a duathlon. Okay, I know this says triathlon but it's similar! I haven't decided if I want to do the SuperSprint or Formula 1 distance yet.
- Compete in a triathlon or two.
- Train with other triathletes.
- Become comfortable using my bike and general maintenance of it.
- Strength train twice a week. This is almost non-negotiable because if I want to be an Ironman I need to get stronger.
- Try a new recipe once a week and only go out to eat on special occasions.
- Try a clean food cleanse and/or a juice cleanse.
- By the end of the year stop drinking soda.
- Drink more water!!
- Remain injury free!
I think that is a good start and I'm sure that I will come up with some other goals as needed (in other words, when I kick these goals' butts!) However, if I completely fail at everything else the one goal I want to achieve is running a marathon. That is my number one goal for 2012.
What are your goals for 2012? Good luck with them!