Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lollypop Farm's Barktober Fest 5 Mile Race Report

Yesterday Mike and I ran in our fourth race!

The extra rest day, slow run on Thursday and ice bath worked because my legs didn't bother me during the race at all!  But I'm getting ahead of myself, let's start from the beginning.

During the summer I started to research races a lot (obsessively) and I came across Lollypop Farm's Barktober Fest 5 mile race.  The distance is unique, there aren't that many 5 mile races, but Lollypop Farm helped us adopt two of our pets so of course we had to participate!  Plus, as this video shows, the festival is fun for everyone.

I didn't sleep well the night before the race but I wasn't worried since I had slept well on Thursday night.  Unfortunately, I woke up with a sore throat and I now think I am getting sick.  I'm doing everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen, though!

The race was scheduled to start at 8:30am but we had to arrive early because we brought our dog, Bernie, with us!  Bernie was going to be watched by a "barking lot" attendant while we raced and we weren't exactly sure where they were located.  After asking a few people, we finally found the barking lot attendants and dropped Bernie off so that we could stretch and warm-up.

During our warm-up run, I actually felt my knee start to bother me.  I tried stretching it out as best I could and just hoped that once we got going that it would go away.

After waiting for a little while (I think they were having some problems setting up the timing system), we were finally able to line up.  The funniest thing, for me anyway, was when the lady yelled "GO" and you could hear everyone's watches "beep".  Mike was wearing our Garmin watch and I was wearing our regular stop watch.

The course was a 5 mile loop in the town of Perinton.

I knew from the beginning that I would be running alone the entire race.  Mike really wanted to run the 5 miles in 45 minutes or less and that is a little bit out of my reach right now.  The first mile went by quickly and I fell into a good pace.  I was actually following these two guys wearing green shirts that said "Rochester ATM" on the back for awhile.  One nice thing was that at the first mile a guy was yelling out the time and my split was around 9:28.  

The first water stop was shortly after we got onto Pannell Road, probably around 1.5 miles or so.  I tried to drink some water, but I have a difficult time running and drinking (out of a cup anyway) at the same time.  Right after the first water stop was when the hills started.  I knew that I didn't want to walk so I just focused on conquering the hills.  I'm sure that my pace got slower and slower with each step but I didn't care.  The first two hills weren't too bad and I finally got to Daily Road.

I knew that there was going to be a portion of the race that was an "out and back" and I welcomed that in this race.  This was the only time that I was able to see Mike and we cheered for each other as we ran on opposite sides of the road.  

At the end of the turnaround, I knew that I had less than two miles left.  What I didn't know was that there was going to be an even bigger hill waiting for me on Victor Road.  Again, I just put all of my energy into conquering the hill without worrying about how fast I was going.  

One of the last volunteers near mile 4 yelled out that we just had a downhill left and then we would be at the finish line.  I knew by looking at the time on the watch that I was coming in around 10:00 to 11:00 minutes per mile and I gave it all I could to get to my A goal of 50 minutes or less.  

When that goal passed by me, I knew that I didn't want to have a time slower than 52:00 minutes.  I even passed a guy in the last quarter of a mile and rounded the corner to the finish line.  The best thing was seeing Mike standing with Bernie cheering me on.  I crossed the finish line and finished in 51:29.7.  

Overall I am proud of my time (and the fact that I ran the entire time), but I wish that I had gone a little faster to get a 50:xx time.  I guess we will just have to run in another 5 mile race to make that happen! 

Mike went 43:34.9, he crushed his goal!  I was really proud of him.  We later found out that he came in fourth in his age group, he just missed getting an age group award!

After we stretched, refueled (thank you free bagels and soyjoy bars) and changed our clothes, we walked around the festival with Bernie.    

 Someone was thirsty

 Dogs everywhere!

You are the biggest dog I have ever seen

Hello beautiful Bernese Mountain Dog

Bernie is happy, Barktober Fest is a success!

When we had checked out all of the vendors, we headed home.  We later had Moe's for lunch and went to Schutt's Apple Mill to pick up some apple cider, donuts and apple frosts.  Apple frosts are vanilla soft serve ice cream mix and apple cider, so good!

Overall it was a successful day and I can't wait to race again in a few weeks!

How were your weekend runs?  If you raced, how did you do?


  1. Awesome race Jamie (and Mike) guys have been training really hard and it is paying off...great race results and Bernie even got to have some fun too!!!

  2. 51:29 is AWESOME!! GREAT job!!!

  3. Bernie is adorable! Great job on this race despite the hills. Are you running any other Rochester races soon? I'm always so out of the loop with races around the area.

  4. Hey Ali, thanks we think he's pretty cute too :) We are running in the Run for Hospice 10 mile race on October 15th in Greece.